Experienced technical leader with a history of successfully delivering complex web and mobile applications in regulated industries. Recent work includes cloud migration, enterprise digital and mobile publishing, and managing digital transformations.
March 2014 to Present
Associate Director, Digital Engineering
Managing development teams publishing websites, mobile applications, and APIs in regulated industry.
- Led implementation and migration to Adobe Experience Manager CMS
- Migrated middleware and backend systems to AWS Cloud, reducing hosting costs by $300,000 per year
- Implemented Tibco Mashery API gateway for API / Microservices Publishing
- Implemented near-shore content factory to reduce page costs
- Stood up off-shore development teams delivering integrated AEM components
- Launched 75 websites on platform in first full year of operation
- Reduced publishing costs by 40%, reduced site build time by 50%
- Implemented availability and application performance monitoring, reached 99.99% uptime over 2016-2017.
- Speaker, Adobe Summit 2017, "Digital Transformation in Healthcare" and "Importance of Change Management in Digital Transformation"
- Published 15 mobile applications across Android and IOS app stores, including Software as a Medical Device
- Managed mix of staff, onshore, nearshore, and offshore resources to deliver complex functionality at best-cost locations.
June 2011 to March 2014
Digital Marketing Technology Director
Managed interactive development and delivery for Fidelity's in-house agency. Projects included:
- Young Investors, Thinking Big: Campaign-based microsites based on Drupal CMS
- IPad-based Visual Aid system for managed presentations for workplace investing
- m.fidelity.com - Fidelity's first mobile site (needed to support google ad quality weighting)
April 2005 to June 2011
Founded Watchdog Systems, Systems Management service provider and consultancy. Business leverages open source software components to provide cost-effective monitoring and system management services, as well as consulting on system implementation, development processes, hosting and datacenter design.
- The Receivables Exchange: Architecture, Development, Deployment, Hosting. Marketing site with full client control and integration with Grails stack for form processing.
- Gilda's Club Living Room: Architecture, Development, Deployment, Maintenance. Social networking site built on OpenCMS platform, with additional components developed using Java Server Faces
- Earthlink: Architecture, Component Development, Technical Lead. Java Server Faces site for large dail-up ISP, built using MyFaces, Tomcat, and Jakarta Commons elements.
- Erwyn: Architecture, Development, Deployment, Hosting: B2B site with quote-generation and product catalog support. Site supports over 16,000 discrete products with full client management of pages and products.
April 1998 to April 2005
Director, Engineering (March 2001 to April 2005)
- Technical Lead for Business Development: Developed technical approach for RFP responses, worked with prospects during sales process to correctly size technical effort, project scope, solution set and budgets.
- System Architect and Development Lead: Reebok.com US and Global Sites (MSCMS -> XML -> Flash system), Invista division of Dupont and Fannie Mae (Interwoven), Tribeca Film Festival, Tommy Hilfiger Global Sites, Doremus (OpenCMS). Non CMS projects included SIRIUS Satellite Radio, eSylvan.com, RCI / Cendant, and others.
- Managed and operated Organic Data Center: Developed .NET and Java facilities for shared client hosting. Key clients included Tommy Hilfiger, Coach, Ingenix, Seiko, and Benjamin Moore.
- Deployed and adapted open source tools to improve team capabilities: eclipse, bugzilla, OpenCMS, VQWiki, Checkbot, JMeter, Apache Tomcat, Big Brother, Nagios, Mharc. Tools used in Organic data center as well as first-response support for Ingenix division of United Health Care.
- Developed new capabilities for customers: Developed personalized / bulk email tool for opt-in broadcast to members of Tommy Hilfiger, SIRIUS Satellite Radio and SeikoUSA sites. Implemented Webtrends metrics cluster for Tommy Hilfiger, Coach.
- Team Lead: Managed project teams of up to 15 people with budgets ranging from $50,000 to $750,000 in engineering billings.
Director, Engineering Methodology (November 2000 to March 2001)
- Lead project team devoted to creating use-case-centric development methodology and adapting RUP and XP techniques to web development.
- Coordinated WebSphere Application Server deployment and knowledge sharing across engineering groups in Detroit office working on DaimlerChrysler account, and New York and San Francisco offices working on Federated Systems Group account (macys.com and bloomingdales.com).
Director, Systems Integration (November 1999 to November 2000)
- Led hosting and site maintenance teams for ongoing site operations. Transformed cost center into profit-making group. Achieved $1,000,000 annual revenue by professionalizing and standardizing operations, creating standardized service packages, and developing monitoring systems.
- Operated Organic hosting data center at Exodus. Clients included: Tommy Hilfiger, Sting / Compaq, Garnet Hill and the Tribeca Film Festival.
- Developed standard system architectures and deployment plans for common technology suites: ATG Dynamo, BroadVision One To One Commerce, IBM WebSphere, Apache, Netscape Enterprise, Microsoft IIS, Oracle, Veritas HA Cluster, MQ Series, SQL Server. Developed standard hardware and software layouts to support rapid pricing and predictable deployments.
Acting Chief Project Engineer, Detroit Office (June 1999 to November 1999)
- Managed development team through Organic's acquisition of Ross Roy and opening of new Detroit office. Team was dedicated to servicing Daimler Chrysler's Chrysler division sites (Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, and many others). Developed secure WAN and VPN for content promotion and site production.
- Transitioned Chrysler's sites from legacy C/C++ CGI applications to Java-based WebSphere implementation. Used JNI and CORBA to integrate with legacy systems and components within Daimler Chrysler's infrastructure. Initial project, "Get A Quote" delivered $10,000,000 in qualified leads to Chrysler dealerships monthly.
- Managed synchronized simultaneous site refresh of all Chrysler web properties for new model product year.
Senior Project Engineer (April 1998 to June 1999)
- Lead Engineer on several smaller-scale rollouts: Barnes and Noble Software Store, Corbis Store, EyeWeb Kiosk, RCN, US Navy.
1994 to 1998
- Started VSI's Web Development Practice. Worked with sales team in creating proposals, managed delivery team, provided hosting services
- Produced and hosted original sites for William M Mercer, Pathogenesis, Biogen, Developmentworks, Pasteur-Merieux Connaught, Oncology Online (for Bristol Meyers), Finehost.
- Managed redesign of KPMG's KMAN internal knowledge management system (based on FirstClass BBS Software). System provided network-delivered QuickTime video training segments for on-demand training as well as collaboration and content publishing facilities.
- Developed hybrid HTML / Notes / Domino implementation for Hyperion software to simplify knowledge sharing with remote sales team.